EDCI 338: UVic Social Media & Personalized Learning - Lauren Ingbrigtson

Community Contributions

Hi Hannah!

I really like how you broke down the concepts of a Personalized Learning Network and Digital Identity into approachable language and themes. This made your post easy to understand and follow the concepts present. Before this course, I had no idea what a PLN was and how involved or not involved my presence is online. Has the course’s content made you rethink how you use and interact with others online? This global pandemic has really turned our world’s upside down. It also has made society rely heavily on social media, multimedia sources, and other learning networks for social interactions, education, and work. After the pandemic, do you think we will go back to normal? Or do you think these channels are information will stay in place and become the new norm?

Hi Alan!

I like how you connected the course material to customer loyalty and branding. Social media has a large influence on brands and can reach a multitude of current and potential customers. Brands also contribute both socially and financially and the larger the personalized learning network, the more wealth the brand gains. I also like how you highlighted the positive and negative impacts of this topic. Is there a way for brands to avoid image distortion?

Hi Siamik!

As I read through your blog post I find myself nodding in agreement. I also find myself to be more of a “lurker,” especially in regard to my personal online presence. I tend to be more interactive as a professional but still not as involved as most. Eventually I would like to step outside my comfort to try and make more connections using my digital identity. Do you think some of your platforms could eventually move from visitor to more resident?

Hi Olivia!

It sounds like we had similar experiences regarding our visitor and resident map and the process that followed! This was a great way to reflect on my online presence aka my digital identity. I noticed that our experiences differ in the sense that you relate more as a resident while I relate more as a visitor. Do you think they are positive and negative outcomes of both sides? Is there such thing as a balance? If so, would you want to?

Hi Janine!

I really appreciate the take you took this week on your personalized learning network, inclusion and community engagement.  Your blog post really made me think about the type of apps and the social political views that are present (or not present). Are we learning if we are constantly only seeing one view or perspective? If not, how can this kind of discourse be changed?

Hi Sail!

I agree that the use of social media, especially in times like these, can be beneficial when used in a positive manner. Unfortunately, like you stated, content can be influenced by hatred, harmful opinions, and fake news. Also, the anonymousness nature of some social media platforms allows for users to dissociate what they post from their personalized learning network and can lead to things such as hate crimes and racist comments, without any consequences. I think education in this realm is vital. Do you have any proposals on how the mass population can gain positive insight and proper digital education?

Hi Violet!

I like the strong point of view you brought on this week’s topic! I agree that perspectives should be keep mainly objective with an appropriate attitude backed by factual information. There is a lot of misguided information out there for anyone to read. I like how you also tied in Jody Vance’s comment on how “you are your brand.” It is true that most of the population only exposes their strengths and stray from exposing their “gaps” or “weaknesses.” I do believe with how interactive social media has become that we are moving away from this. Candid is the new norm on many platforms such a Tik Tok. Is being real factual though?

Hi Helen!

I quickly noticed how open and easy your dialogue on the week’s topic is. Thus, making your blog post user friendly. I agree that social media platforms, digital identities and personalized learning networks can be used in both a positive and negative manner. It is critical that users are posting factual correct information online. What are some ways you think “fake news” can be discouraged or decreased? Also, how can we stop future Donald Trump’s from abusing their authority and power of their PLN?

Hi Katelynn!

I like how you related this week’s topic to education and its use in the classroom! As an educator, I am constantly trying to relate content and how it can be beneficial for learners. Classrooms can be quite sterile at times, and this is great way to make learning fun! And what better way to do it than through the learner’s personalized learning network. I believe some educators stray away from using multimedia in the classroom because they did not grow up in the age of technology and was never taught how to properly implement these types of tools. I am grateful that I am able to be a part of not only this course but many others that allow me the opportunity to expand my knowledge. By expanding my knowledge and comfortability, it allows me to provide the same opportunities for my learners as well. As a learner, how has your learning been influenced by technology? Or rather how you wished multimedia was imbedded into your prior education?

Hi Molly!

THIS!! This blog post is everything. I can’t even begin to describe how much I relate, appreciate, and want to scream at the top of my lungs alongside you. I am curious where the power of education and technology are going to lead us following this tragic and heart wrenching event.

Hi Helen!

What a fun way to discuss course material and connect it to personal and professional use! As a teacher myself, I agree that Twitter is an effective tool for building and maintaining a professional personal learning network. It is great for discussing topics, sharing resources, and connecting with other educators! This course, for me, has also been reflective. Like you, it has made me think about what social media platforms I am using and how they are being utilized. I will be re-evaluating my PLN, both personally and professionally, and adjusting where need be.

Hi Mara!

I really like how your group chose to do a podcast style for your final project. I enjoyed listening to each group member’s opinion, personal experiences and how it related to the course’s content. I constantly found myself nodding in agreement. This course has been educational and reflective. As I move forward, I also plan to expand my personalized learning network both personally and professionally. Best of luck in China!

© 2024 EDCI 338: UVic Social Media & Personalized Learning – Lauren Ingbrigtson